View Single Post
Old
07-05-2013, 09:33 AM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I'm not going to lie, I kind of agree with FLYERTIME that we could have played hardball with giroux.

Now homer is not a hardball type of guy when it comes to contracts, but Giroux has made his home in philly and has identified himself as a flyer. He is the captain of our team and has many close relationships on the team and within the organization. would he really lose that all just for 500k more a year for 8 years? he probably could make that up in the endorsements that he will get playing in such a large market in philly in those 8 years not to mention the cush job that awaits him with the flyers once he retires.
Do you really want to upset your franchise player and captain though by playing hardball with him over 500k. There is a downside to that as well. He might feel as comfortable with the organization as he did before because we were low balling him. Homer knows when to play hard ball or not. This is one occasion you don't. Not with your franchise player.

Look at St. Louis and Nashville. They have two superstar defenders and are/were playing tough with their contracts. Nashville almost lost theirs because of it. If St. Louis signs a center for 5+million I offer sheet the hell out of pietrangelo. They don't have a ton of cap space anymore and still need petro and Stewart locked up

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote