Thread: Speculation: Richards' future on the NYR
View Single Post
Old
07-05-2013, 01:20 PM
DelZottoHitTheNetJK

vCash: 500
I think keeping Richards this year is up there amongst the worst moves Sather has ever made. Even IF (IF IF IF) Richards miraculously can put up 60 points next year, it's terrible. Here's why:

-Richards has already won a cup/Conn Smythe, has already gotten paid, and already knows he'll be getting bought out next summer. What incentive does he have to compete? How many ****s can we expect this guy to give, who's achieved everything a hockey player could ever achieve in the NHL?

-We have a complete logjam at C. Stepan, Brassard, Richards, Boyle, Miller. So many of us are keen on letting this team contend with Stepan as our 1C. Fine.. in that case you buy out Richards, free up a ton of cap space to sign a talented winger which we desperately need after the Gaborik trade and you're left with Stepan, Brassard, Miller, Boyle up the middle. Could have then signed Briere/Horton or any of the other plethora of forwards that were in arguably the deepest UFA class in 10 years. What our top 6 will likely be going into the season:

Richards, Callahan, Nash, Hagelin, Stepan, Zuccarello/Kreider

what it could have been had we bought out Richards:

Horton/Briere, Callahan, Nash, Stepan, Brassard, Zuccarello/Kreider

The rest of the East is LOADING UP and we're standing pat doing nothing at all. See: Scuderi to PIT, Horton to CBJ, Alfie to DET. If I'm Hank, why would I resign here when the rest of the conference is loading up? Does this group really expect to win with what we've got? Our forward core outside of maybe 4 or 5 players is atrocious.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK is offline   Reply With Quote