View Single Post
Old
07-05-2013, 05:23 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Trigg, clearly we are a better team. We are clearly more "predator-like" with tenacity, harder hitting, and better leadership. Stalberg may fill a top 6 role. Cullen will be a decent 2nd/3rd liner that will help with the powerplay.

And yet, we continue, as an organization to shy away from focusing on an elite or even true top tier forward. I like the roll the lines approach, but when you watch the Kings and Bruins, etc. who roll lines and win - we simply do not have the talent to even come close to matching that. We have no richards, kopitar, brown, or Carter. We have no horton, seguin, krecj, bergeron, lucic. We don't have a toews, kane, sharp, or Hossa. All of those guys are significantly better than anyone we can ice, and our model is vastly different than theirs.

Honestly, our true comparable model has been that Ducks team that had 1 forward star in Kariya, a bunch of crap offensive players that played gritty hard nosed hockey, and a blue line that featured Neidermayer/Pronger with elite goaltending. We got to the second round with our hand-crafted team. We lost in 5. I will agree we outplayed Phoenix in every game but one of that series, but we still got beat in 5. Why? We couldn't score. And in the playoffs, it is harder to score. I think we are reassimilating that end-game: Elite defense, elite goaltending, defensive and opportunitisc forwards.

The problem is it just doesn't work very often.

Here is to hoping our forwards continue to improve and Stalberg/Forsberg become something special.
I understand, that Enoch, but you don't stop trying because the one playoffs it didn't work. We were better that playoffs than we were the playoffs with Kariya, Dumont, Sullivan and Forsberg.

I also think Wilson and Forsberg can be top line forwards. Beck and Hornqvist are both also good offensive players and Bourque has shown glimpses.

I'd also say this team has more offensive punch than that 2012 team. This has really good depth if you look at it. Wilson, Forsberg, Hornqvist, Stalberg, Beck, Bourque, Fisher, Cullen and Legwand are all good 2nd line players.