View Single Post
Old
07-05-2013, 09:06 PM
Chooch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Ference just turned 34 and will have turned 38 (in March) at the end of the 4th year of this contract.
Exactly, so in other words as i stated, nearly 40?

Quote:
Show me 1 value signing today....that type of contract doesn't exist when it comes to the 1st day of Free Agency.
Easily debunked already, somebody else beat me to it.

Quote:
This team lacked top 4 dmen and also lacked character and toughness.

Ference allows all 3 of those columns to be checked off.

Just like Gordon, Ference was more expensive than he should have been but both players bring qualities this team was lacking in.
I am not against any of those players being here. I even said it above, we could really use a Ference. While i do feel they were overpaid just a bit, my main issue here is only with the term. As for their salary, they would probably get that same money elsewhere for all we know, but i don't believe many teams would sign them for that long while paying them that kind of money.

Quote:
Also, Edmonton will always have to over pay for FA's (1st day of FA or not)....thats just a reality that Oiler fans have to live with.
I really don't think geography matters to hockey players as much as some people make it out to matter. The myth that Edmonton is this city that can't attract FA's ever since the Chris Pronger thing went down and he wanted out for personal reasons in which nobody can decipher why. These guys are hockey players, if they wanted a long vacation on the sandy beaches of Florida, i am sure they can afford one. I mean, these guys barely ever see their families during the regular season as it is, so i don't see why geography is this supposed big deal to most hockey players. If we have to overpay for the FA's we sign, then i'd probably guess Calgary does too, as well as Winnipeg since we aren't exactly the best looking cities.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote