Thread: GDT: FA/Trade Talk
View Single Post
Old
07-06-2013, 08:48 AM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
S615, I would've been happy with Stalberg and Ribeiro. That would've addressed the top 6 needs. A proven center in Ribeiro who is good on the PP and a guy who has the potential for top 6 minutes while adding speed and size to the lineup.

And while I agree we added grit back to the lineup, I think it could hamstring us down the line salary wise because we have a bunch of guys again that do the same thing but are now paying them a lot more money to do it. It's nice to have some punch on the 4th line but when I see Lapierre signing for $1.1/year we massively overpaid for guys like Nystrom and Hendricks. Probably could've had both for $2.5/year. Add that to the albatross of a deal we signed Gaustad to and I think we could have issues, not saying we will but could have issues.

Now if Poile and Trotz are going for a team that scores 2 a game and only gives up 1 then I agree with what they've done but the margin for error is way too large IMO.

People ask why free agents don't want to come here. Well, look at the way the team is designed. Defense first and forwards who like to score or play offense are not going to want to come to a team that is all about defense first. It has to be fun for them in addition to doing the hard work and I think the thought of always having to be defensively first is a turn off for certain guys. It has nothing to do with the town or if we're a hockey city or not. Players that have played here enjoyed living here and visiting players know it's a tough loud place to play so that's not an issue either. I think it has everything to do with the system we play.

Now what happens if we ***** the bed coming out of the gate. One, the coach is gone and Poile is on the hot seat as well and now we have a roster full of guys that the outgoing coach loves but may not fit in to the future plans of the new coach and there is no way to unload these guys because they are overpaid. We have seriously put all the eggs in one basket and put all the faith in Trotz to make this work. I hope it does or this could turn in to a major disaster.