View Single Post
Old
07-06-2013, 10:13 AM
glenngineer
HF Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I actually have bought in to what Poile did.

Last season we couldn't keep position of the puck because our "dump and chase" was dump and backcheck, we didn't have the speed to regain the puck. Our forcheck was also effected by the lack of speed, we had gotten away from our normal aggressive forecheck and sat back more. We also had defensemen camping our wingers in the defensive zone because we didn't have the speed throughout the line-up to back them up. The result was pucks held in our defensive zone for long periods of time.

Last season, Richard Clune was the only sandpaper in our line-up. Gaustad would be the few times he wasn't hurt but for the most part the Predators leaned on Clune to provide energy through physical play.

Last season injuries killed us up front. Beck was called up and thrown on the first line as we had no one else to play wing. Bang, Henderson, Watson and Mueller where all playing big minutes.

Where was the hard working Predators? The aggressive forecheck? The relentless puck pursuit? The energy? To steal a phrase from Crisp, were was the lunch-pale?

Where these not big issues?

If Stalberg and Cullen don't add anything, they add speed in bunches.

Grit? Nystrom and Henderson are as gritty as Stalberg is fast.

Depth? We added 4 forwards and a back-up goalie.

This team is built the way Trotz likes his team to play, it's going to be fast, aggressive and gritty. Full of hard working blue collar players, elite defenders and an elite goalie.
And while I agree with what you say, the highlighted part is where I wonder. The type of team Trotz coaches or plays, while all fine and good in the regular season, it doesn't work in the playoffs and we've seen the results. I think we need to find the balance in all of this. We can't be all grit and sandpaper. We can't be all skill and soft. You have to have guys that are a mishmosh of all skill sets. You have to have skill players, you have to have bangers, you have to have energy/pk guys, you have to have guys that can win faceoffs. Honestly, some of these guys intertwined. You need a banger with skill. You need a guy with speed who can play the pk and win faceoffs. You can't have one dimensional guys that only fill one or two roles.

I look at the truly great teams and their top players play all three roles, ES, PP and PK. Granted, every team doesn't have a Toews, Hossa, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, etc. but at some point, we need guys like that and while yesterday wasn't a day to land any player of that caliber, I just hope these moves pay off.

Our bottom 6 is much better now. We filled up with guys who are proven NHL talents as opposed to NHL/AHL tweeners. I like the moves to some extent but worry about them at the same time.