View Single Post
Old
07-06-2013, 10:36 AM
LesHabs66

vCash: 500
It would have been a great Friday if the Habs had the assets or spare cap room to trade for Bobby Ryan. Unfortunately they didn't have what other teams wanted in return for the big trades. Is it a downer that that they didn't get a big name centre, winger, or dman yesterday? Yeah, but with what teams were forking over in salary and contract length it would have handcuffed ther Habs over the next few seasons. They still need to be able to afford a Subban contract next year. Paying $7 million/7 years for David Clarkson like the Leafs did would have been foolish. A lot of these moves are for the short term good and not to rebuild a team which they are doing in Montreal.

As for David Desharnais...I get it. People do not like him. They want him traded or released. Who is willing to trade for him? What quality player can be had for him if he sucks so badly? Unfortunately there isn't a Bob Gainey out there willing to make a Gomez type of trade for DD and return a young stud centre for his services. As much as I'd like to see that Simmonds guy from Philly I wouldn't want to throw away a young dman like Nathan Beaulieu in return as MTL needs to develop their prospects instead of using them for trade bait. Just wait...give Beaulieu, Tinordi, and even Pateryn a chance to get more NHL exposure and playing time. All three a well over 6' tall with some bulk- after yesterday one would think that being over 6' tall is all that makes a winning team. Briere has always been a thorn in the Habs side and I think he will be a good one on the anemic PP as well as mentoring the younger guys. His 2 year deal seems like a voice of reason in week of reaching and overpaying for free agents.

The team will be fine. If not they draft higher than they did this season but you don't know until the puck drops in October. They have until then to add depth without breaking the bank on a foolish Clarksonesque contract or worse 5 year overpayment for a broken older player.

Oh yeah...if anyone here is a better center than DD please feel free to drop a resume and DVD highlight reel off at the Bell Centre. I am sure they will gladly give you a tryout to replace DD.

LesHabs66 is offline   Reply With Quote