Thread: How to deke
View Single Post
Old
07-06-2013, 02:18 PM
Brad Doty
¯\_(ツ)_/¯Until April

vCash: 500
Some more quick shots advice (some great stuff in this thread, but let me give you a defenseman's perspective):

Make sure that when you're learning how to handle that you also pick up how to 1. do this stuff at high speed and 2. do it with your head up. The tips other folks have given about 'selling' your dekes rely heavily on your ability to not look like you're about to toe drag me. Also, if you're going very slow, you're going to stickhandle into nowhere, my chest, or a corner. Any smart d-man is going to angle you out and smother the play.

Also, I say do this at high speed because that's the killer. Any good-skating and/or smart d-man can compensate/recover...but other folks have already said that.

You'll notice that even the best danglers in the NHL don't dangle all the time--it's much harder to defend multi-tool players. If every time a player comes at me he's gonna deke, I can cheat a bit, too. It's much harder if a guy can look off a pass, shoot, shoot through screens, go wide with speed, or deke back into the middle. Unpredictability is the name of the game. Overly rehearsed 'moves' are almost easy to kill. I fancy myself a decent defenseman, and while I can stop practically anyone at my level (or even above to an extent) from dangling me, it's the guy that sells you the unexpected that's the most dangerous...you end up giving those players too much space.

Brad Doty is offline   Reply With Quote