View Single Post
Old
01-09-2004, 10:33 AM
swinginutter*

vCash: 500
I think Mathieu Schneider said it best a season ago or two. That this team cannot just get by every night on extremely hard work. Sooner or later it's going to take a toll. ***** most of the beer leagues we all probably play in don't even have checking in them, and I go home sore with bumps and bruises, and it's not even in the same ball park (or hemisphere for that matter) as far as this league goes.
Our top lines consist of finesse players that need protection. And we just don't offer that. Do we change the face of our whole team....NO! But protection is needed, and I can't emphasize that enough. We do nothing to police our own problems, and that's the only way we'll ever get justice. And, what i'm saying is not rocket science. Every where Gretzky played he had major protection and not just one player. If you even looked at him the wrong way, you'd get crushed. And, it's not that you have to play those type of guys on his line, it's the overall presence that those players bring.
Teams like the Vancouver Canucks are not that great, and as much as everyone overrates them, they're not that impressive, especially when it comes to work ethic. But, this is the catch. They have one top line that absolutely dominates, you take that equation away, and they're dead in the water. Bertuzzi can bring most of the protection, so players know better, and Jovo-cop also brings it. Not to mention they also play May. These type of teams will get wins even when they get out-played, ou-shot, out-hit, it doesn't matter because they can still get by on talent of their top line. And, that's what Schnieder was saying.
At the beginning of the year I thought this was one of the best teams on paper that we've had in a long time, minus one defenseman. But as it stands we will be nothing more than a team that simply survives night in and night out. And, it get's tiring to watch. But i'm diseased with this team, as i've been for the last twenty years. I just don't know anymore?