Old
07-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Roy signs with St Louis 1 year @ $4M

Would you rather have Cullen with 2 years @ $3.5M or Roy with 2 years @ $4M?
Roy absolutely. The upside with him is simply much much more than Cullen. There is also the potential Vanek connection. You probably could have still nabbed Cullen at 2.5-3 million with the left over change.

I just listened to NHL radio with Josh Cooper being interviewed, and I think his opinion sums it up:

We are still going to struggle to score goals. Our primary need heading into free agency was scoring goals. It is debatable that we did much more than get back to baseline. This was Cooper's opinion. Not mine. He went on to say that we got back to "the Predator way." When asked if this was a contender, he said, "not a contender, but maybe a challenger for the playoffs."

He is right. This is not a contender. Unless we acquire another top 6 forward, we are going to be struggling mightily to score goals. Their is potential for a surprise with the young forwards - Beck, Wilson, Forsberg. There is also potential for disaster. The one thing I will agree with - if this team makes it to the playoffs, it can win several series based upon an elite Rinne and stout defense. But I wouldn't hold out hope that this current roster could get past the first round, much less the second. I want to be wrong. But their are too many ifs, and their are still gaping holes and question marks in our top 6.

Also, per Cooper - Cullen was signed to be our FIRST LINE center. Let that sink in. Our first line center.

David Poile - "We addressed all our needs. We filled all of our holes"

Cullen. First. Line. Center.

I'm sorry, but as a fan of this team, this is not good evaluation. I know I am an arm-chair GM. I know that I am not a pro-scout and that David Poile has forgotten more hockey than I have ever known. But this .... it is crazy, or a misrepresentation of where this team stands.

Are we better. Yes. Are we much more coachable? Absolutely. Roles have been defined.... I will give that to David Poile. A roster without set roles has been revamped into a very clear/precise group of players with clear roles ....

Then again, who in the NHL outside of the Predators will ice a 4th line of mediocre grinders making 8 million dollars. No one.

We need a scorer. We have needed a scorer. We will continue to need a scorer until David Poile stops pretending that a "scoring by committee" approach means you give 8 million dollars to three fourth liners rather than a first liner and a decent but not great grinder.