View Single Post
Old
07-06-2013, 08:17 PM
BubbleGumPlant

vCash: 500
Sign Fistric? We obviously need more depth at D. This was very evident last year as soon as Emelin went down and everyone realized that Drewiske wasn't the solution.

Getting a big defenseman... a difficult task, yes, but a priority nonetheless. I can understand if Bergevin has been trying to achieve this via trade and not succeeding. IMO, this is his biggest challenge yet and if he can't get anything done this year to address this gap then that will be 3 times that he will come short (1- not replacing Hal Gill before last season, PK% dropped significantly, 2- only getting Drewiske at the trade deadline was a misidentification of actual defenseman depth, Emelin gets injured and the Habs couldn't dig themselves out and were no longer a real threat).

Therrien can always bench an underperforming DD but he can't make Diaz or Bouillon grow 3 inches. Also, if I'm not mistaken, Tinordi aside, we really don't have any big shutdown defenseman prospects and didn't draft any this year... So so much for building through the draft. That was plan A. We couldn't move up in the draft, fine. Time for plan B, get one through UFA or trade.

I like MB and have faith in him but sometimes what he says just doesn't fit the bill. I agree when he says other teams are unwilling to part with their size, but if so, why don't you get it through UFA? We don't need a major signing that will hurt us down the road but we need someone. Besides, if you sign size, you can trade them later since size is so hard to get.