Old
07-07-2013, 05:38 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
I've got Laughton penciled in right now, but I'm not sure if they are willing to play him at wing or not.

Cousins, sure, put him in the group.

Really, the point is that there seem to be 3-6 decent options of young forwards that project to have a chance to be decent NHLers. I'm not making any claim that specifically one of them has what it takes right now. But I feel reasonably sure that in a competition we would find one of the guys capable of playing 3rd line even strength minutes alongside 2 good defensive players. And the bonus is maybe more than one of them shows something and we have better idea of call up options.

I'm interested in pushing these guys and seeing if they are worth anything. It could be very beneficial moving forward for the club. With the Gagne option we will probably get a 25-35 point player that will probably miss significant time anyway.
Idk. Obviously if these kids impress in camp I have no problem with rolling one out on the third line. But if they don't, then you have a hole in your roster and you either have to make a trade, sign someone's leftovers (like with Knuble), or just roll with a crappy lineup. Yes it is possible that Gagne craps out or gets injured or whatever your concerns may be, but I think it is a safer bet to go with what you know and see what happens and fall back on another option, than go with the unknown and fall back on more unknown or uncertainty. I like McGinn and I know very little of the two. I would have no problem with putting them out there if there are no other options (or if they do well in camp), but the third line, especially with Couturier and Read or Simmonds out there, could still be an effective line on offense and defense. I'd rather roll with a guy with NHL experience and fall back on the others if need be (or go into camp with the spot as Gagne's to lose) than go with three unknowns and more unknowns to fall back on.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote