View Single Post
Old
07-08-2013, 05:45 AM
Caser

vCash: 500
Also I would like to add that judging by this year's draft the 'Russian factor' is expanding and might become the 'European factor', as a lot of talented players from Europe went lower in the draft or even undrafted.

I would say it is because there are a lot of conservative GMs who prefer safe picks - homegrown players who might be less talented than Europeans, but are somewhat guaranteed that they will report. So the business logic is simple: on one side there is a less talented NA player, who will report and play at least at AHL, will generate some safe revenue to organization; on the other side - talented European that might not report at all, so there is a risk of getting no pay off at all for this pick.

I agree that it sounds archaic, but the only possible cure for this are progressive GMs that are not afraid to take the risk and are ready to do some additional work to help European players adapt successfully. Examples are already here - Yzerman, Kekkalainen - but the problem is that they haven't won anything yet.

By the way, picking European players might have some indirect business bonus too, as it might help to expand organization's fanbase in Europe, which is generally good for business. So, personally, I don't understand why not to risk with at least some lower draft pick for that purpose.

Last edited by Caser: 07-08-2013 at 06:18 AM.
Caser is offline   Reply With Quote