View Single Post
Old
07-08-2013, 10:37 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafik Soliman View Post
And I say it again: The question is not about the developement of a player (as I agree with stv11 and you, that he would make similar progress in Switzerland and Northamerica), but to prepar him for a professional career in the NHL and again we are far, far away from being a good league for a player to prepare for the NHL...
We often hear this point about the NLA not being a good league to prepare a player for an NHL career, but I'd argue that it's the case for most European league, except maybe the SM-Liiga.

The style of play in the Eliteserien is arguably further removed from North American hockey that the one played in Switzerland, with the slow pace and emphasis on positioning play. In Russia, you constantly see players unable to move forward stop at the blue line and pass back to the defense to restart the breakout from scratch, the kind of play that would make a North American coach pull his hair out. And despite this, countless NHL players came out of Sweden and Russia, so there is no reason NHL players couldn't be developped in Switzerland too.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote