View Single Post
Old
07-08-2013, 02:18 PM
JesusBouillon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
This story gets stranger by the minute. Apparently there was a fire on board the unmanned train about 2 hours before the explosion in a town about 12 kilometers away.Firefighters were called to the scene and extinguished it, but two hours later the unmanned runaway train full of fuel barrels down the hill in the middle of town going 60 kms/hr or so and de-rails. Trains going through the town are not allowed to go more than 15km/hr because of the curve at the bottom of hill that goes right through downtown.

All kinds of questions are up in the air as to where the crew were at the time, why the brakes were not applied and if they were what happened to them.

This is the type of stuff you see in a Hollywood movie.
They said the train had pneumatic brakes... I'm not sure how those function on trains, but from the info I gathered the firemen stopped the train's engine to put down the fire, shutting down the air supply to the brakes, so once there was no air in the system there wasn't any brake to stop the train.

It surprises me as pneumatic systems on 18 wheelers are made especially so that once the air goes out of the system the parking/emergency brakes are activated by a mechanical system.

JesusBouillon is offline   Reply With Quote