View Single Post
Old
07-08-2013, 01:48 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
It make no sense for a team like Boston, who already had a strong leadership group, to use the "sink or swim" approach with a rookie. Teams who give big responsibilities to rookies are the one who don't already have leadership - and thus, don't have any other choice than to trust a rookie.

"I'm not motivated to get better because I don't have responsibilities" is the kind of antics a inexperienced teenager would use. The world doesn't work like that. Sure, there are exceptions, but these are precisely exceptions.
I agree in principle.
Galchenyuk would be an exception. He stepped in the league when he was 18... When forwards make the jump to the NHL they're often 22. If they're a Center in the AHL, they play Center in the NHL.

Galchenyuk was in an unnatural situation. He was played at a position with less responsibilities. He was given sheltered minutes. He was babied in a way Toews, Malkin, Backstrom, Staal and other top-3 drafted Centers were not when they stepped in the NHL. That was fine and I was OK with it last season. The question is how much longer can this go on until it starts being detrimental. You can't deliberately stunt growth to protect a player because he's younger.

You don't grow leaders by treating players like babies.

Last edited by Erik Estrada: 07-08-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote