View Single Post
07-08-2013, 02:53 PM
Suck it Trebek
vCash: 250
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
You are right in a sense. We do compare to the market.

But the point here is: does any undersized aging/declining forward with recent injury history got more than Briere? Does any other team take him for 2 years at 4M per? Could we (hypothetically) trade Briere for something valuable now? It's simply no, no and no.

The fact that different teams signed ridiculous contracts for completely different players a few days later has little to do with it.

And I'm not saying it has nothing to do, agreed. The market is crazy, OK. Just don't overpay for something you don't need and it's already a better move.
I understand your point, and I was not pleased with the signing at first because I do think we need a big, gritty winger that can play top 6. But the only one available was Clarkson and I am really happy that we didn't get screwed giving him the type of contract Toronto gave him. Our only other option is to acquire one via trade, and the Ryan deal shows that we would have to send something like Beaulieu, Collberg and a 1st for it. Not worth it in my opinion.

Hullois is online now   Reply With Quote