View Single Post
Old
10-26-2006, 05:37 PM
FisherKing

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
I tend to think that 1st rounders should always be solid picks. If I had to choose, I'd rather have guaranteed NHL contributors instead of a homerun and a bunch of misses. As turnbuckle likes to point out, the Habs have done very well in this regard over the past 4-5 years with their 1st-3rd rounders.
I agree. When you compare the success (or horrendous lack thereof) in the 1st round in the '90s, I think it brings the point home. As for Chip, I haven't seen him play that much, but even before we drafted him, everything I read and heard about him (then and now) made me think of a Brian Skrudland with more offensive upside, which isn't exactly damning with faint praise. Skrudland did well to get in the double digits in points in a year when he was with the Habs, but they never did fill the hole he left when they traded him (ditto Keane). I think we might finally have a guy in Chip who will finally fill that hole, again with more if not fantastic offensive upside.

As for Higgins (and I know this post tells just how ancient I really am) but he reminds me quite a lot of a stronger version of Steve Shutt when he played. If anyone here remembers those guys, well, you and I aren't far from the Old Folks Home.

FisherKing is offline   Reply With Quote