Thread: Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers sign Boyd Gordon (3 years, $3M AAV)
View Single Post
07-08-2013, 04:05 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by JustinCider View Post
Name me one UFA signing that wasn't. When you're bidding against the entire league, this is what happens. Edmonton isn't a cap team at the moment, so it really doesn't matter. The main thing is to get the right player for your team, if his salary, no matter what it is, can fit into your budget, and you're fine with, then it doesn't really matter. If a team is gonna sit back and look for bargains from UFA's, they aren't gonna get the best of the bunch, those teams will end up with Petrell and Belanger and any other number of borderline NHL players.
While I understand the premise of what youre saying, I disagree with the premise of your first statement. There were quite a few deals which were reasonable.
A lot of the deals were ridiculous in terms of either money or length, or even both (the two main TML deals come to mind, Iginla for 6mill and the Flyers signing Lecavalier), but some were shrewd deals for fair market value.
The Flyers signing Ray Emery
The Wild had two good signings in Matt Cooke and Ballard.
PM Bouchard for 1 year and only 2 million? Good deal.
Khudobin was a great pickup for Carolina.
Max Lapierre for 1.1 was a good deal.

I can keep going but the point is that not EVERY UFA signing has to be an overpayment.
IMO, Gordon at 3 million is overpaying. Having said that, I still think that this was a great signing for the Oil and it will have a very positive affect on the yeam. He is useful in many areas where the Oil seemed to lack.
So while he isnt worth 3 million in a vacuum, he is worth it to the Oil if that makes sense because he helps in more ways in clear area's of need.

So, to sum up, Gordon at 3 million is an overpayment. And It was still a good signing by the team.

stardog is offline   Reply With Quote