View Single Post
Old
07-08-2013, 04:09 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petes2424 View Post
Even if what you say is true, does that not logically prove he's not a top pairing guy? If he cant do it without Timonen carry his jock, why can Smid do it with whoever he's paired with??? It's not like Edmonton is rolling out all star D to pair with. It also kind of proves my point about being put in a position by the Flyers to hold more responsibility because they figured Schenn needed to be protected and not Coburn anymore. Coburn showed he does still need to be protected.

I dont want it to sound like Im ripping on Coburn. Just keeping people honest. He's a good player. He's worth a 2nd round pick or maybe even a late 1st come the trade deadline. He's a bit overpaid but that's becoming the norm in the NHL. In my opinion, he's not as good as Smid. Not even close. If Smid would've hit the open market, he would've cashed in quite well. In fact, I would wager the Flyers would've been all over him trying to secure his services.
I wouldn't say it proves anything, no offense. Dallas Smith was a "top pairing" guy for many years with the Boston Bruins. But he wasn't a #1, that was Bobby Orr. But Smith was a very good defensive defenseman who complimented Orr. Same situation with Coburn, he's the Flyers best defensive defenseman. Let him play that role with someone with more offensive skills and he does a very good job, on the top pair or no. He has proven that, consistently since he's been with the Flyers.

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote