View Single Post
Old
07-08-2013, 05:30 PM
Random Forest
aka hockeyfreak7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
That's how I see Morin. I just don't see the offensive upside in him to even speak of him in the same breath as Chara or Pronger. If he has the size and skating of Coburn and the physical play of Schenn then he's kind of more a hybrid of Coburn and schenn right??? Do we really NEED a hybrid of those two when we already have BOTH of them??? I think we need a more offensive minded PMD type guy that we could POTENTIALLY pair with one of Schenn or Coburn moreso than another stay at home physical dman.

Again, having Morin coming up in a few years isn't a bad thing. I'm sure he's going to be a fine blueliner for us but to me it's like when we just keep drafting centers. We are already deep and set at physical, defensive-minded dmen.
Two things:

When Morin's ready, do you think our needs on D are going to be exactly the same? Lots of things change between now and then. They always do. You can't draft based on your current need.

Also, calling Morin a "better skating Schenn" just doesn't make any sense. That's fundamentally changing the player you're comparing him to. His skill set is so radically different by the mere fact that he is a good skater. That gives him a whole heap of potential that he can tap into that Schenn can not. The fact that he can skate coupled with his hockey sense (which we really have no clue about yet) lends itself to a lot of potential that neither Schenn nor Coburn have. It's possible that he has entirely different instincts that will allow him to grow into a more two-way game than either Coburn or Schenn. I don't like typecasting such a raw player as a "stay-at-home" defenseman so early simply because if he can put all his tools together, he may not be a stay-at-home defender in the future. He's just so raw, you can't really project what kind of player he will be at the NHL level.

Random Forest is offline   Reply With Quote