Thread: Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers sign Boyd Gordon (3 years, $3M AAV)
View Single Post
Old
07-08-2013, 04:38 PM
JustinCider

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
On one of the most shallow forward cores in the league. Vermette, Hanzal, Gordon down the middle.

Just because he played there doesn't mean that's what he is. On a good team he's a fourth liner.

People need to understand that I appreciate full well what kind of player Gordon is and what he will bring to the Oil. My line of thinking is very much in accordance with the poser above who said that while it's an overpayment, it's still a good signing due to need in Edmonton. It simply doesn't change the fact that paying Boyd Gordon 3M a year is somewhat absurd. Players like him just don't deserve, nor typically receive, that kind of money. I'm not trying to take away from his quality; it's just the way it is. Brian Boyle is a pretty damn good defensive center and PK guy and he's scored 20 goals before. We all agree we don't ever want to see him on our third line again, even though he's played their plenty. None of us would want to pay him 3M if that's what it took to keep him. We probably wouldn't even want to give him 2.5M.
Ok, so let's agree that 2 million a season for Gordon would have been OK. if the Oilers choices were...

A. Sign him to the deal they did, overpay him by 1 million per season for 3 years, and in doing so, fill a huge hole at bottom 6 centre.

or

B. Walk away from that deal, because it was seen as an overpayment, and let him get his money somewhere else, and force Edmonton to go look for someone else, who was not their first choice, and more than likely have to overpay them to some degree in order to sign them.

Which option do you think they'd choose?

JustinCider is offline   Reply With Quote