View Single Post
Old
07-08-2013, 10:40 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
The bolded is exactly what I think is happening. Poile does not believe we're close to being contenders. I think Poile believes we are still very much in the middle of a rebuilding process that is going to take longer than most of us would like or think it should. If we make the playoffs, great, but I don't think that is his goal right now. I think he is waiting to see what we have in the system.

Given who we picked up this summer (a young project winger + 3 grizzled vets known for high work ethic), I think it shows we are grooming the young forwards, and waiting for them to develop into our core. One particular problem from last season, was the lazy and somewhat immature play of our young forwards. They're not being pushed hard enough and IMO feel too comfortable with their spot in the lineup. The 3 vets we brought in are here to show them how it's done, and bump them down the depth chart if they start slacking. The ultimate goal is to instill the work ethic and grit of the mentors, with the natural skill of the young forwards. Hopefully, they'll mature into hard working scoring forwards.

So rather than going all out on a scoring forward (which we still need), our goal for the next couple of seasons is to continue to develop our young players and prospects. It's the only way I can make sense of the summer so far. I know the general believe is that "we're only a piece or two away from contending," but the truth is we're still very much rebuilding and it's going to take time. I don't think we're gonna be in the market for a scoring forward for another year or two, at least.
You are probably right, but I think adding an upper echelon scorer puts this team firmly in the contender mix. We have too much defensive talent and a superstar goalie/norris caliber defenseman.