View Single Post
Old
07-08-2013, 09:44 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
For starters, Dustin Leed doesn't nail anything. Period.

Also, Luke Schenn is like 24 and has played like 1000 games or so. If he continues to improve we have ourself one of the premier shutdown defenders in this game.
Gustafsson looks like top4 material.
Gostisbhere could be anything from top-pairing to M.A. Bergeron, but still will most likely play significant games in a year or two.
Robert Hagg looks good.
Samuel Morin's limit is the sky.

I think we are getting there.
Also Coburn and Grossmann have many years left as meaningful players in this league.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
I don't think he nailed anything on the head. There are tons of defenders with sky high upside, but very few who are actually playing at a sky high level. The elite defenders in the league are a very exclusive group. Not nearly enough to go around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CS View Post
Like Luke Schenn as a future #2 or Erik Gustafsson as a future #3?

Because every young defenseman in the league is guaranteed to be a #1.

Thanks again Dustin.
I think you guys are missing the point, this team has no #1 defenseman prospects besides maybe Morin. Hell you could even argue that on most teams, Schenn is a 3rd or 4th defenseman and Gus is a 4th and maybe even a 5th defenseman.

Everyone should take a look around the league, you see names like Doughty, Weber, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, OEL and Subban. All YOUNG defenseman produced by the draft. Please tell me, when is the last time the Flyers have had a young elite defenseman?

Then we have the next category, young defenseman with the potential to be a #1, some of them may be the #1's on their current teams, some of them are still very much prospects, as I said they have the skillset and the potential, but on a lot of rosters they will probably slot in as the #2 defenseman for the duration of their carers. Names like Shattenkirk, Schultz, Staal, Faulk, Hamilton and Carlson come to mind.

The sad part is, there are so many more young defenseman league wide that I didn't name.

Our best defenseman? Age 35, and age 38. The first is injury prone, and the second one is solid, but not what he was 3 years ago.

Believe me, I really like Schenn and Gus, but in comparison to the other young defenseman leaguewide...

usahockey22flyers is offline   Reply With Quote