Thread: Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Oilers sign Boyd Gordon (3 years, $3M AAV)
View Single Post
Old
07-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
I posted in here before we knew it was an AAV of $3M saying I thought it was a good signing. Seeing the actual contract now, I think he's definitely overpaid but this isn't a terrible contract or signing. I think $2M per was very reasonable and for $1M more he's not overpaid by that much. Oilers aren't in cap trouble. There's a good chance this contract won't hurt them. Also, it's free agency and there is always overpayment, especially for a team like Edmonton who has trouble attracting UFAs and Gordon likely had a lot of interest from many others.

To be honest, if you want to overpay for a player, Gordon's the type that you do. He's very good at what he does and brings a lot to the table that Edmonton needed. I'd much rather overpay for a player who not only addresses so many needs but plays with heart every night rather than overpay a player who is more one-dimensional and doesn't give a damn. If he was still out there I'd still love him in Buffalo for this price. Oilers wanted him and went out and got him. Good for them. He makes them a lot better.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote