View Single Post
Old
07-08-2013, 10:03 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
I think you guys are missing the point, this team has no #1 defenseman prospects besides maybe Morin. Hell you could even argue that on most teams, Schenn is a 3rd or 4th defenseman and Gus is a 4th and maybe even a 5th defenseman.

Everyone should take a look around the league, you see names like Doughty, Weber, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, OEL and Subban. All YOUNG defenseman produced by the draft. Please tell me, when is the last time the Flyers have had a young elite defenseman?

Then we have the next category, young defenseman with the potential to be a #1, some of them may be the #1's on their current teams, some of them are still very much prospects, as I said they have the skillset and the potential, but on a lot of rosters they will probably slot in as the #2 defenseman for the duration of their carers. Names like Shattenkirk, Schultz, Staal, Faulk, Hamilton and Carlson come to mind.

The sad part is, there are so many more young defenseman league wide that I didn't name.

Our best defenseman? Age 35, and age 38. The first is injury prone, and the second one is solid, but not what he was 3 years ago.

Believe me, I really like Schenn and Gus, but in comparison to the other young defenseman leaguewide...
Homer traded a lot of his 1st, 2nd, & 3rd rounders up until two years ago, not having those draft picks really hurt our prospect system as a whole.

Four out of those elite defensemen you listed were drafted in the top 15 (Doughty, Pietrangelo, OEL, & Karlsson). We really haven't been drafting much in the top 15 during Homer's tenure.

We have Morin, Hagg, & Gostisbehere in the system all look to be potential top 4 defensemen if everything goes right so the system isn't exactly barren we just have to have some patience and hope everything pans out with those guys. If Homer & Co. holds on to their picks more often like they seem to be doing as of late the prospect system will get stronger. I mean they seem to be pretty committed to drafting defensemen seeing as they drafted 8 in the past two drafts.

Here's an good article on our defensive prospects by Bill Metzler:
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...pment/45/52669

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote