View Single Post
Old
07-08-2013, 10:03 PM
hockeyfreak7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by usahockey22flyers View Post
I think you guys are missing the point, this team has no #1 defenseman prospects besides maybe Morin. Hell you could even argue that on most teams, Schenn is a 3rd or 4th defenseman and Gus is a 4th and maybe even a 5th defenseman.

Everyone should take a look around the league, you see names like Doughty, Weber, Pietrangelo, Karlsson, OEL and Subban. All YOUNG defenseman produced by the draft. Please tell me, when is the last time the Flyers have had a young elite defenseman?

Then we have the next category, young defenseman with the potential to be a #1, some of them may be the #1's on their current teams, some of them are still very much prospects, as I said they have the skillset and the potential, but on a lot of rosters they will probably slot in as the #2 defenseman for the duration of their carers. Names like Shattenkirk, Schultz, Staal, Faulk, Hamilton and Carlson come to mind.

The sad part is, there are so many more young defenseman league wide that I didn't name.

Our best defenseman? Age 35, and age 38. The first is injury prone, and the second one is solid, but not what he was 3 years ago.

Believe me, I really like Schenn and Gus, but in comparison to the other young defenseman leaguewide...
I think you're the one missing the point. Finding a blue chip defender is not exactly easy to do when you don't have top 10 picks year after year. There is a huge luck factor involved in the draft.

It's not like Nashville knew they had a franchise defender on their hands when they took Weber. Same with Montreal and Subban...even Karlsson and Ottawa. They lucked into those players. They certainly didn't pick them with the expectations of them becoming stud defenders.

And the rest of them? Well, there's your top 10 picks. Doughty, Pietrangelo, OEL, etc.

You have two ways of obtaining a #1 defender through the draft: 1) suck and get a top five pick to get a 'sure thing' or 2) Get lucky with a later pick.

You increase your odds of "getting lucky" by drafting a higher volume of defenders. Just like you increase your odds of winning the lottery by purchasing a hundred tickets. We have finally started doing that, and look what has happened now. Suddenly we have Gostisbehere, Morin, and Hagg in the pipeline. Three years ago we had nothing. Give it another year or two, and maybe we'll end up with our very own Subban or Karlsson or Shattenkirk.

I'm not sure what you would rather the Flyers have done differently though. We weren't going to pass up on Couturier in '11. We didn't have any 1st rounders in '10 or '09. We took Sbisa in '08 and didn't get "lucky". We had no other choice but to take JVR in '07. And in '06 we took Giroux. Since the first lockout, the only pick you can really scrutinize (maybe) is Laughton, and that looks like a fantastic pick right now. So I'm not sure what your alternative would have been.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote