View Single Post
Old
07-08-2013, 11:37 PM
BackWithaVengeance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
I think you're the one missing the point. Finding a blue chip defender is not exactly easy to do when you don't have top 10 picks year after year. There is a huge luck factor involved in the draft.

It's not like Nashville knew they had a franchise defender on their hands when they took Weber. Same with Montreal and Subban...even Karlsson and Ottawa. They lucked into those players. They certainly didn't pick them with the expectations of them becoming stud defenders.

And the rest of them? Well, there's your top 10 picks. Doughty, Pietrangelo, OEL, etc.

You have two ways of obtaining a #1 defender through the draft: 1) suck and get a top five pick to get a 'sure thing' or 2) Get lucky with a later pick.

You increase your odds of "getting lucky" by drafting a higher volume of defenders. Just like you increase your odds of winning the lottery by purchasing a hundred tickets. We have finally started doing that, and look what has happened now. Suddenly we have Gostisbehere, Morin, and Hagg in the pipeline. Three years ago we had nothing. Give it another year or two, and maybe we'll end up with our very own Subban or Karlsson or Shattenkirk.

I'm not sure what you would rather the Flyers have done differently though. We weren't going to pass up on Couturier in '11. We didn't have any 1st rounders in '10 or '09. We took Sbisa in '08 and didn't get "lucky". We had no other choice but to take JVR in '07. And in '06 we took Giroux. Since the first lockout, the only pick you can really scrutinize (maybe) is Laughton, and that looks like a fantastic pick right now. So I'm not sure what your alternative would have been.
Oh boy, as much as I liked Sbisa ... Carlson ,Josi,Wiercioch and J.Schultz were all picked later.

BackWithaVengeance is offline   Reply With Quote