Old
07-09-2013, 12:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Because that is how it goes. If you put up big numbers, even if over a long period of time, you'll get in in any sport. It happens in hockey. It happens in baseball. And so forth and so on.

But he wasn't able to play a full season. That is going to count against you no matter how you slice it. His PPG pace was ridiculous. I agree. But where do you draw the line? At what point do you say that he simply didn't play enough to warrant the honor of being inducted into the HOF. I know Neely and Bure were inducted, and if they were up I would probably have similar arguments (though as I stated earlier there are differnet arguments to be made about Bure and Neely that aren't necessarily present here).

Lindros had four seasons where he played 70+ games. Only one where he played 80+. The majority of the time he was playing in the low fifties or less. He also sat out a year because of a contract dispute. He was a great player when he was on the ice, but IMO he wasn't on the ice enough. I completely understand your argument, I just don't agree with it.

But again, that is going on talent, not on ice production. Forsberg I would argue similarly, though Forsberg didn't have the off-ice issues that the voters are obviously considering. If you are talking just about most talented players of all time, I'd put Lindros on that list. But that doesn't mean he is a HOFer.
Missing games is going to count, sure, but it doesn't mean he wasn't utterly dominant when he played for a long time...and it certainly doesn't count as much as you think it does. Otherwise Bure wouldn't be in. Should we consider revoking Orr's HOF membership because he was injured often? No? That's because his injuries don't detract from his accomplishments or dominance much.

If there were an identical player who didn't miss games, sure. He should get in first. But, there isn't. There isn't really anyone waiting for the HOF who is like Lindros.