View Single Post
Old
07-09-2013, 03:03 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
This mantra gets thrown around all the time, but teams will generally find ways to keep their best players. Everybody thought Giroux was going to be a prime target for an offer sheet next summer, but the Flyers locked him up within days, if not hours of being allowed to do so under league regulations.

Most of those players you listed will not reach free agency. Stastny and Hemsky will go; Vanek and Gaborik might. I would chalk up the rest as "very unlikely." If we're getting a high-end offensive player, it's either via trade or at the draft, and we went 0/2 this year.
It's worth noting that Toronto currently has over $10m in cap space, and they have 11 forwards, 5 defensemen and 2 goalies under contract. I don't think one season for Kadri, a partial one at that, is going to warrant a big contract. I would imagine he gets a couple of million over a couple of years. Then all they really need to do is throw a little bit of money at one of Franson, Gunnarsson or Fraser (probably Gunnarsson as there are reports of Franson maybe wanting to hold out, possibly for a trade). On top of that, I think, at most, Kessel will be looking for 7yrs at $7m, which is only $1.6m more than he makes now. I see no way Kessel hits the FA market unless he simply doesn't like being the go-to guy on an up-and-coming Leafs squad.

I think Stastny, Hemsky and Vanek are all three certain to go if they aren't traded, and even then there is the possibility. The rest? Doubtful at best. I think Columbus will be able to retain Gabby, and the others on CBzP's list will stay where they are.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote