View Single Post
Old
07-09-2013, 03:49 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I didn't say it has NO impact. I listed off-ice issues as part of the reason why he hasn't been inducted and why I don't think he should be. I think the other reasons are equally part of the equation. Big picture. If you just look at PPG and how he played is his, let's face it, limited time on the ice over a 15 or so year career, there are going to be a ton of guys who are going to get in becuase, well, they were good when the played. I know Bure and Neely got in and people are saying Forsberg will probably get in. I would probably and will probably have the same arguments about those players. There are other factors involved in those players as well. Like I said about Bure, he scored a ton of goals, which is going to make you more attractive to voters. Neely basically invented a new type of playing style (or at least perfected it). To my knowledge these two guys were well liked (or at least not disliked) and neither were issues off the ice or in the locker room. Those are all +s when it comes to voters. Lindros had some pluses but also had the negatives. It is what it is.
Can you name these other players that Lindros is going to open the floodgates too? The other players over 1.1 PPG and even a few hundred games played?

I'll give you the answer... Kent Nilsson... that is it, Kent Nilsson is going to ram down those flood defences.

There are hardly any. There are not 'a ton of guys'. Lindros is top 20 all time in PPG if you include his whole career, heck, he was #6...ever if you go to 500 games. There are 22 retired players in the history of the sport with over 1.1 PPG (regardless of number of games played.) and Lindros is 15th in this list.

This would not be a vote on 'potential' or 'what could have been' this is a vote on what was and what he did... even with his problems, this still equates to one of the best 20 forwards of all time.

Imaginary people are who are going to get in the HOF because Lindros is, to me, does not seem a great argument for keeping him out.

Appleyard is online now   Reply With Quote