View Single Post
Old
07-09-2013, 03:54 PM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
It's not just Briere's point production, but his goals have decreased in each of the last two season. It's also pretty disingenuous to blame playoff losses on Gionta. I didn't know all the team's playoff hopes depended on one single player. Out of Desharnais, Briere and Gionta, I'd take Gionta as he doesn't need soft minutes to produce at the rate he has the last three season which has been pretty consistent.

Briere while he might bring depth, just replaces a problem the team already has...a small uni-dimensional centre who requires soft minutes and offensive players to produce. The team needs to move away from these players, not acquire more of them.

His only saving grace right now is his playoff production because it's the only argument people can put forth right now to show Briere's worth and usefulness to the current club. Aside from that, we're essentially hoping that a 36 year old injury prone forward returns to his production of three years ago.
I think I would actually pay to hear MB honestly respond to this exact post...

Everything you lay out makes such obvious sense that it is really intriguing to me to know either:

- how MB missed it (was he under pressure from above to sign a "big name" French Canadian? Is he just utterly convinced that briere makes us a better playoff team next year? Did therrien push hard for him? ???
Or
- what other element, roster "fit" or otherwise he sees that the rest of us are missing

It could very well work out, but the risk/reward factor seems out of whack from my pov

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote