Thread: Scott Laughton
View Single Post
Old
07-09-2013, 05:03 PM
hockeyfreak7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
I'm very happy with how Laughton is progressing, but I think people need to temper expectations for him. People saying that he's going to be better than Schenn need to give their head a shake. In the year after his draft year, Schenn put up 99 points in 59 games and had 8 points in 6 games in the WJC. Laughton had 56 points in 49 games, and didn't make the WJC squad. He hasn't shown anything close to the offensive ability or potential that Schenn has shown.
See, I just don't believe Schenn's offensive game is going to come around like people expected it to after he dominated major juniors. I think he'll be an effective top six winger with a physical presence, but I see him being consistently between 55-60 points, and always leaving you wishing he was just a little bit more.

Laughton I see with similar offensive output, but with much more impact on the game in other areas. He'll be a two way player who plays with tenacity on the boards and wills his way to win battles. He doesn't have the 'skill' that Brayden has, and that's why he didn't dominate juniors the same way, but I think he will make up for that with his compete level. A guy like Ryan Callahan never dominated juniors, but he carved out an offensive role because of that same compete level.

I guess I'm just not as high on Schenn as most are, but I really think Laughton will be a more important asset in the future.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote