Thread: Scott Laughton
View Single Post
Old
07-09-2013, 10:11 PM
FLYguy3911

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Love the reference, but I have to disagree.

I don't think another year in juniors is going to stunt his offensive growth. He's not a skill player, so he doesn't need to develop the confidence in his talent level like a Schenn or a Strome or a Scheifele. Those guys needed the extra time in order to gain the confidence in their ability.

Laughton's skill set takes much less refining to translate to the NHL. Players like him develop through pro experience. His offensive game is going to come along by learning what the pro game is all about. Not gaining confidence in his skills.

Now, if you want to talk about a player whose offensive game could have used another year or two in juniors, I think we're looking at Couturier. He's a great player and still has loads of potential, but I fear his offensive game may have been stunted by not getting that extra year or two. He could obviously still reach his potential, but it's clear that he has very little confidence in his offensive game, and I think another year would have done wonders for him in that regard.

I don't fear the same issue with Laughton as he doesn't have the same offensive talent level or skill set that Couturier does.
Couldn't disagree more. By saying Laughton isn't a skill player (which is bogus) you are basically conceding any offensive upside. He's the kind of guy that needs that seasoning, unless you are content with him being just a #3 center. He has #2 upside. Wouldn't you like to maximize your return on your investment? I would.

As for Couturier, he had nothing left to prove in the Q. He had a track record (unlike Laughton). He dominated his league for two consecutive seasons. There was very little to gain by him going back. He had a miserable year last year, but to suggest it was because he didn't play his 4th season in juniors is nuts. He was very good his rookie year considering the circumstances. He just took a step back last year.

FLYguy3911 is online now   Reply With Quote