View Single Post
Old
07-09-2013, 09:12 PM
manderson528

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftwinger37 View Post
Beauty.

From the sound of it, your slump isn't due to lack of training or hard work; it's between the ears. Slumps are mental and WE ALLOW THEM to persist because we start to obsess, over-analyze, and negatively reinforce bad habits and/or negative thinking. In your example, this causes you to lose focus and not be "in the moment" when scoring opportunities present themselves.

You are frustrated, so you put in all of the extra time with your shooting, which inflates the expectations that the goals will come... and they don't. So you get more frustrated, so you put in more time shooting... and the vicious cycle continues.

As previously mentioned, focus on your strengths and everything that you do well. Once you make some good plays, give yourself positive mental feedback; you'll tune out the negative and allow your brain to function without that block, which allows your training to take over.
This. Spot on. 100%. Slumps are almost always mental. As the previous poster said, dont get down on the fact that youre not putting the puck in the net, but rather focus on the things you are doing right, and focus on your strengths. It may sound dumb, but giving yourself positive feedback after each shift will help greatly. It focuses your attention to what you just did right, rather than what you just did wrong. You get more of what you think about and imagine, so keep those thoughts positive! Remember, thoughts reflect feeling.
I highly recommend reading the book "Hockey Tough" by Saul Miller. It discusses the mental side of hockey, and most importantly tells you how to stay mentally sharp. This book helped my mental acuity not only on the ice, but in all walks of life. One of the best books I have ever read.

manderson528 is offline   Reply With Quote