View Single Post
Old
07-09-2013, 10:14 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
MacKinnon wears 22 in honor of Freddy Cabana, an ex Moosehead, who he thinks of like his older brother. He said in an interview he'd wear it on his NHL team if it wasn't already taken, so who knows what happens with Hunwick.

Quote:
“When he first went to the Mooseheads, he sent me a message on Facebook to see if I would let him play with number 22,” Cabana said. “I said to him ‘Nate, play with it and you’ll put number 22 on the map. Nobody’s going to remember that I wore it. When they retire number 22 in Halifax it’ll be for Nathan MacKinnon, not for Freddy Cabana. Go ahead and wear it, I’ll be more than proud that you wear it because of me.’”

Now that MacKinnon is on the verge of jumping to the NHL, he has no intention changing. He said that as long as the team that drafts him doesn’t already have a player who wears 22, he will keep that on his back in honour of Cabana.

“Absolutely,” MacKinnon said. “It’s all him, that’s why I wear it. Hopefully I can have it for my whole career.”

When told that, Cabana seemed sincerely touched.

“I have no words for it if he keeps wearing it in the NHL,” Cabana said. “That’s pretty cool.”
http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/...oung-mackinnon