View Single Post
Old
07-09-2013, 10:15 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danisonfire View Post
Such as these arguments?

- Gomez being acquired and people excited he was point per game in the playoffs. 114 games, 81 points before he joined MTL. At 0.71 points per game I think you picked the perfect word "misleading".

- You also mentioned "fluery" as the reason for Briere's playoff success in 2011-12, he played 6 games vs him, 8 points. He had 5 games against New Jersey, 5 points.
I was a little off about the numbers, mea culpa, but not so much that the argument loses validity.

The bottom line is that playoff performance is irrelevant. You can't take the cumulative performance of a player over the past decade, that doesn't make any sense. Players evolve, they mature and grow older, they accumulate concussions and experience, and those factors compete. Would I want the Briere of 2005 on a 2-year, 8 million dollar contract? Yes. Are we getting that player? No, we're getting a completely different player. Same with Gomez, we didn't get the Gomez of old. We didn't get the Gomez who had 45 points in 42 playoff games in the five seasons prior to being traded to Montreal.

And yes, Briere benefited from playing against Fleury. The fact he then did well against New Jersey serves to demonstrate only one thing: your ignorance of statistics. 5 points in 5 games is statistically insignificant.

We need to analyze Briere as he is. He is a smurf who is good offensively but terrible defensively, kind of like Desharnais and Gallagher, and thus he is redundant. His primary distinction from Desharnais and Gallagher is that he is more expensive, older, and has had more concussions.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote