Thread: Scott Laughton
View Single Post
Old
07-09-2013, 11:03 PM
hockeyfreak7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyShoe1721 View Post
I guess Ryan Callahan never truly dominated juniors, but he still put up way bigger numbers than Laughton has. He put up 52 goals(3rd in the OHL) and 84 points. He also had two big postseasons of 20+ points. I love Laughton, but I'd love to see you give me an example of any guy that puts up a consistent 50 points(what Callahan has basically become) without ever breaking 75 points in juniors(if he played there). If Laughton played a full season his PPG puts him right around there. I'll look at guys that compare to Laughton and Callahan; hard workers that are good defensively, and not that purely talented but still put up good points. They all put up much better numbers in juniors than Laughton has ever shown.

Ladd: 75 points in his draft year, then a sub-par year, then NHL
Marchand: 80 and 73 points both with less than 60 games played
C. Stewart: 87 and 82 points
Brouwer: 102 points
Simmonds: 75 points
D. Brown: 76 and 73 points
Bolland: 85 and 130 points
Bickell: 83 points
Gallagher: 81, 91, and 77 points
Doan: 94 points
Burrows: 70 points
Ott: 88 and 87 points

I could keep going. My point is, show me a guy who is a consistent 40-50 point player that has a junior resume compared to what Laughton has done so far. I don't think many examples exist, if any.
Ryan O'Reilly. And Andrew Ladd, like you listed. Not sure why he doesn't count to you.

And of all the guys you listed, I don't think any are as much a direct comparison to Laughton as O'Reilly. Save for Ladd and Doan, I don't see many similarities in Laughton's skill set and any of the players you listed.

Basically, Laughton's the type of player whose game will translate well to the NHL. Like I've been saying to the others here, he keeps the game simple, makes smart decisions, has high hockey sense, and doesn't try to do too much. The more skilled players may outscore him in juniors, but those guys aren't going to be able to dominate the NHL game on pure talent. That's where Laughton has them beat. Similar to Ryan O'Reilly and his transition to the NHL despite never dominating the junior level.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote