View Single Post
Old
07-09-2013, 11:17 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to thadd
I really hope Edmonton can sign Penner and get another 3rd line center or winger for Hemsky.

I was angry when Mac-T was hired, but that doesn't mean that I want to see Edmonton fail to put a competitive team on the ice next year.

I really don't mind having Gordon on the third line, but we need to get ahold of another center with similar capabilities. If RNH or Gagner get hurt it won't be the end of the world if Gordon is winning face-offs and going to the net for a couple of weeks. In the event of this happening it wouldn't be the end of the world if Lander came up to play 4th line center.

Who knows, maybe we'd bring Arcobello up to fill in for an injuried top 6 center.

For the Jones signing, I don't mind having him back to play on the forth line, but he isn't the kind of guy who's going to win me over as a third line winger. He doesn't bring it often enough IMO.

Yes, it's only July 10th, but there aren't a lot of options left via free agency and it seems to me that the teams Edmonton is bothering to bolster their roster are the teams least likely to do business with us. Most notably, Philly. They need to upgrade their blueline, not downgrade. People say that they're over the cap, but Pronger's contract won't count against the salary cap if his on the LTIR, correct?

I also see a lot of people hoping that we sign Dustin Penner. While I do agree he's the best option left on the free agent market, I'm not convinced that he'd be incredibly effective. On his contract year he didn't get to play a lot of minutes, but his stats were still very underwhelming.

I wouldn't want to see Penner signed for any more than a single season. His stats in the playoffs were even less impressive this year. He could be a 3rd line stop gap measure, but nothing more than that.

There's also been a lot of talk of Edmonton needing better options on the blueline and if people want to think that way I'm almost certain that they need to open upto the idea of losing Smid. No, not Petry. Smid. We've got so many left handed d-men up the yingyang on our team in in our system that it's downright disturbing.

I'm really in favour of Mac-T dealing our first rounder, but not until Mac-T makes another move or two to fix our bottom 6 depth beforehand. There's no point in giving up our first rounder unless we know it's going to pay off for us by the end of the year.