Old
07-09-2013, 11:47 PM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowbyBlow View Post
The thing about this team when I looked at young teams who won championships ; which is only fair when doing comparative analysis (granted there is only perhaps 2 of this new era; you can't really look at L.a. or Boston because L.a. has Carter, Richards, Kopitar ,brown, quick; all over agers and boston has bergeron, krejci, chara, thomas again all over agers, same for Detroit, and many others there core was older)

Both Chicago/Pittsburgh had the youngest core groups when they both won respectively

Pittsburgh
Goaltending; Fleury (shaky alot but he buckled down when he had to)
D-man; Letang, gonchar, Scuderi, Gill, orpik, hell i even remember phillipe boucher
(this was known for the offense of gonchar, but it was just a blue collar d group similar to what L.a.'s is now, (you have Doughty and voynov, but greene, regier, scuderi, are your stay at home d-man) same as this group
forwards; crosby, malkin, staal, kunitz, talbot, fedotenko (staal was the guy who people forget probably the worst transaction this team made trading yet never talked about)

Chicago
Goaltending: Niemi (absolutely outstanding in all series; i would go as far as say you need a goalie of his caliber for the calmness he gave to these guys in there first quest for the cup.

Forwards: kane, toews, hossa, sharp, ladd, byfuglien, versteeg, then the depth of burrish, bolland & eager (yes even eager scored)
probably the deepest core of offensive stars a tean has ever had; not for over whelming quality but certainly depth

d-man: keith, seabrook, hjalmarsson, campbell (for years put down for a big contract was a force) boynton the top 4 were just outstanding keith had his mistakes as did all of them but 4 #2-3 d-man at the time was a heck of a core

Each of these teams had remarkably more depth than the Oilers, so can the oilers accept this fallacy that you have to win in 2-3 years with the core team you assembled is the stupidest thing ever. Build your core, and have interchangeable parts to win more championships. Nurse is the core, like it or not
They all had very key vets, too. The Hossa's and Gonchar's helped those teams a lot more than any 22 year old did. Nurse isn't even on the team yet--how you can call him a 'core' player is beyond me.