Thread: Speculation: Next Captain?
View Single Post
Old
07-10-2013, 05:16 AM
harpoon
FOB

vCash: 500
I'd say give it to Hall too, but I'm not sure that he wants to be captain. Last thing we need is to have one of our best players distracted or frustrated by the responsibilities of the C while he's still trying to carve out his game. I hope Hall is an Oiler forever so there's still time for him to wear the C further down the line. Of course if he wants it now that's probably the way to go.

I think it should be Smid. I would be surprised if he isn't one of the best liked guys on the team, and its a given that he would do anything for the team. I think wearing the C would even take his game up a notch. He's also been a guy who has survived the absolute worst of this team and never been negative or shown any sign of "giving up" or bailing on plays because he's on a last place team losing 4-1 in the third ... again. Many players would have left for greener pastures, but Laddy signs quickly, happily and cheaply in Edmonton every time. Never got sour about the fact that the Oilers tried to trade him for Heatley either .

The only thing I don't like about Smid is that he could be found on his knees in the crease far too often last season. Hopefully that was just a symptom of having no confidence in his goaltender (understandable) rather than an indication of the direction he's taking his game.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote