Thread: Speculation: Habs have spoken with Morrow
View Single Post
Old
07-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Sam I Am

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
The D is not set. Maybe in bodies, but not in quality.

We have two top 4 defensemen, Subban and Markov. Then we have two tweeners that are on the boundary, but mostly have one or two solid dimensions, Diaz and Gorges.

Drewiske belongs in the press box. Tinordi, while showing some promise, is still a green rookie. Boullion is fringe depth.

There is no meat and potatoes in the middle. There is no minute eater top 4 defensemen who brings multi-dimensions to the corps (someone like Hamrlik was for us a few years ago)...
Our meat-and-potatoes, minute-eating defenceman is Emelin. In my mind, he is clearly top-4. Hopefully, Emelin will return undiminshed by December. When he does, the Habs will still need a big, mean dependable defenceman. One who--unlike Emelin--can drop the gloves when necessary.

Tinordi is a step in that direction but (rookie or not) one cannot reasonably expect him to do the job alone. Little Frankie B. is the only other source of toughness on the D-line. He has the heart of a lion but at 38-years old, is not likely to grow.

What we desperately require is a Johny Boychuk-type player. Been around. Tough as nails. (Kudos to the Bruins for sticking with Boychuk long enough that he developed into a very useful component of their defensive corps.)

Last edited by Sam I Am: 07-10-2013 at 08:42 AM.