View Single Post
Old
07-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Halibut

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
I was just thinking, in terms of bottom 6 forwards... Look at the Chicago's and Detroits in the NHL. Detroit's 3rd and 4th lines are generally made up of players developed in their system (Helm, Nyquist, Miller, Emmerton). Chicago's 3rd and 4th lines (Shaw, Saad, Bickell, Bolland, etc.) were all developed in their system as well.
Good points. Problem is Bickell and Bolland were drafted in 2004 and we're looking at guys like Pitlick and Hamilton as busts when they were drafted 6 years later. Not all good players come out of the draft ready to step into the NHL.

I really think third and fouth line players are the least of our problems. Guys who produce on those lines are able to do so when the top lines are controlling play. Look at Fraser in LA, was an excellent 4th line center with them while winning a cup but when he was here people complained he was useless. Guess what, he was the same player.

I think coaching can make a huge difference. It did for Chicago and Pittsburgh when they turned things around. Of course it's dependant on getting the right coach for the players you have. We dont have much size or grit in the top two lines which could be a problem but the right coach can work around that, ideally we'd have a bigger center as one of our top two guys. A gritty LW/C to take that second line spot would be huge, hopefully he can take draws even if he plays the wing.

As for trading away first round picks. I'm all for it if you are getting a good player back but who are you going to get? I dont do it for one year of Vanek, I dont think he adds much grit just more of what we already have. Maybe at the deadline if we're challenging for a playoff spot but right now that's a long shot.