View Single Post
Old
07-10-2013, 10:55 AM
pcanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
The Oilers have one of the most unbalanced rosters in the league. The one strength of their team is skill, everything else is lacking.
Too soft, weak bottom 6, very few 2 way and physical players, a bunch of #3-#6 Dmen, not enough puckmovers on the blueline along with shaky goaltending.
What the Oilers do have is highly skilled wingers, a potential #1C and potential on the blueline with Schultz, Petry and eventually Klefbom. It's all question marks at this point.
I completely agree. Last year, I began following the team a little closer (I'm a Jets fan too) and they are very soft. I thought bringing in Eager and a tougher 4th line would help but it went sour when the coach continued to use his skill players and keeping toughness on the bench. Thank goodness he's gone.

That being said, I think there were SIGNIFICANT upgrades we'll see this year.

Adding a cheap backup goaltender is brilliant. Wait to see what Dubnyk can do with a better D and a better set of forwards. If he's a bust, I could see macT moving pieces to get a new starter next year.

Adding Ference on D will help immediately. I could see Smid playing a little tougher in the corners. Schultz will have a year under his belt. I'd really like to see Nurse in the mix sometime later in the year. Otherwise, the D got better. I do hope to see Coburn come over from the Flyers. That would solidify the D-core for the next decade or so.

I am still very concerned with the forward lines. There is tremendous skill everywhere but a lack of toughness. Resigning Jones was good but the Oil need to get bigger and tougher. I can say Antro is a joke (as a Jets fan) and reminds me of Penner (a Wpg boy like me) but plays small and inconsistent. The Oil need character players who can hit and fight when needed. Hall should NEVER fight again. EVER! Those big guys could open the ice up for the skilled players. Not sure who is available but Vanek, etc. are not the answers. The Oil need to play a better 2way game to get to the playoffs (which I think got much closer).

Hemsky needs to go and I'd really like to see Paarjavi moved because he simply isn't getting the ice time he needs. Moving these guys for Coburn helps both the Flyers and Oilers. But macT seems adamant that the Flyers include someone else. A gamble but he's got lots of cards to play.

I like what they've done this summer. Fans shouldn't panic. This team will be a .500 hockey team this year. Making the playoffs is getting more difficult but they are close but they need more toughness. I