View Single Post
Old
07-10-2013, 02:34 PM
bucks_oil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
I'm not a big Smyth fan either at this stage but it all comes down to how he's utilized by Eakins. If he's the utility #13 forward who comes in when there are injuries (and yes there are always injuries)... then in a reduced minutes 4th line type role, he's going to be ok on the team.

I agree he was signed 1 year too long but it is what it is. He obviously signed a contract that the Oilers management agreed to and I assume he'll play out that contract. Hopefully if he's truly awful, Eakins keeps him off the roster or he simply retires... but I'm actually optimistic that he'll do ok in a very limited utility role.
I agree with you... give him a few "energy" shifts per game and he'd probably be ok... you could even trot him out on the powerplay and let him stand in front of the net like the old days. I don't understand why he can't still bang/tip in 10 goals from in front and drive the opposing goalie crazy. Andreychuk did it practically into his 40s and he was a far worse skater than Smytty.