Thread: Prospect Info: 2013 PROSPECT CAMP - July 8th-12th
View Single Post
Old
07-10-2013, 03:34 PM
BEL4SEPICMULLET

vCash: 500
I just got back from the scrimmage. Here's how I saw it:

- Hayden looked awesome. Very good skater for his size, uses his edges well and his first few steps are quick.. He didn't look as stocky as I thought given his listed weight and has room to add size if needed. Tenacious on the forecheck, and laid a few good hits (one on Ross, especially). He scored a very nice goal coming around the net where he waited the goalie out and shelved it glove hand, and then scored a greasy goal on a second and third effort in front of the net. Almost had one in the first period where he toasted two D in the slot when everyone thought he was going to shoot, but instead went forehand backhand and almost beat the tender...This guy could be a steal.

- The other USNDTP picks looked good as well. Louis is tiny, but didn't shy away from contact at all. Very crafty with the puck, and had some sweet short range saucer passes a la Kane. He was very steady on his skates and seemed hard to knock off the puck, and showed some tenacity...noticeable throughout the entire scrimmage. Motte has good puck skills as well and seems to have a good hockey IQ. Found the soft areas in the offensive zone and did a good job of protecting and digging the puck out down low. He did get lit up coming down the right side in the first...was completely airborne.

- Danault looks bigger than last year. Nonstop motor and was fearless when driving the net. Doesn't seem overly skilled, but makes very smart plays and is relentless when chasing loose pucks. Basically, as advertised.

- Johns is a wrecking ball...he left a couple guys looking out the ear hole of their helmets with some monster hits. Loves to step up in the neutral zone, and seemed like he chose to do so at appropriate times, but could maybe see him getting toasted at the next level doing it too often. Otherwise, he made good, simple outlet passes and was patient waiting for forwards to regroup in the neutral zone, or swing down low in the d-zone.

- McNeil looked good on some plays, and poor on others. He is very good at protecting the puck along the boards, and is good on the forecheck. Had a couple very nice passes threading it through the D in the offensive zone to a guy back door, but neither converted. He did float a bit, and I remember he took a 90 second shift on the PP, not doing much when the rest of his unit had changed and he could have easily done so. Seemed a bit disengaged at times.

- Shalunov has a heavy shot, but his skating needs work. His first few steps are pretty slow, and isn't too fast in general.

- Calnan looks bigger and a bit more comfortable with the puck. Wasn't too noticeable.

I admittedly paid more attention to the forwards, but liked what I saw from Brown and Dahlstrom.

Overall, it was an entertaining scrimmage. Chicago's future looks bright!

BEL4SEPICMULLET is offline   Reply With Quote