Old
07-10-2013, 02:41 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Iginla was past his prime.
The quality of the prospects Calgary got in return was pretty laughable, but the trade itself always looks pretty similar in formula.

Quote:
Hossa was dealt for Danny Heatley, who at the time was a superstar.
That wasn't Hossa's UFA deal. He got traded from Atlanta to Pittsburgh for... oh yeah, a first round pick and some prospects.

Quote:
Kovalchuk was dealt for Oduya (a 27 year old, in his prime, top 4 d-man), Bergfors (at the time the Devils top prospect), Cormier (another top prospect in the Devils organization), and a 1st. Cormier could have been called a middling prospect...Bergfors was considered can't miss.
Oduya as a top-4 D is pretty questionable. Bergfors was struggling, Cormier was coming off a season long suspension and a first round pick. None of these names were as highly regarded at the time as Oscar Klefbom AFAIC.

Quote:
Again, I'll ask....give me one example of a 40 goal scorer in his prime dealt for "picks" and "middling prospects".
Vanek isn't a 40 goal scorer right now. Stop saying that.

He won't be traded for middling prospects, but he won't get the return you're talking about from anyone. You're looking at B-tier prospects and a first round pick at the trade deadline. Another name is Rick Nash, but I don't think they'll get a roster player back like Columbus got Dubinsky because Nash had a contract.

Lesser players have trade value that far exceeds his because his caphit for this season blows and he's a UFA this summer.