Thread: Proposal: Rangers/Hurricanes
View Single Post
Old
07-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Bardof425*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCast View Post
Faulk acquitted himself very well in a shutdown role as a 20 year-old and is only getting better. If you're basing your observation only on his WC outings, then you're arguing from a very limited sample.

His offensive game, though still improving, is already ahead of Staal's and he is a coveted RHD. His contract is better and his D game will be very close to Staal's in the not too distant future. Thus the trade makes little sense.
This is where you go off the rails. He will never provide the physical presence that Marc does. He will never have the reach that Marc has. Marc is rangy and great on his edges and jumps into the play with great effectiveness (underrated part of his game). Again, he has done it for years. Faulk has not. Skills do not necessarily equal performance and so all of your forward looking assessments are just that; assessments. You are right, the trade makes little sense, to the Rangers.

And for the record, I watched probably 5 to 10 Canes games last year and nobody on that defense shut down anything. I didn't watch Faulk specifically like I did in the WCs because he was on my team in that tourney, but he did not stand out defensively. So, compared to the rest of your D, Faulk looked great. But big fish in a little pond does not make a Marc Staal comparable.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote