View Single Post
Old
07-10-2013, 07:46 PM
skorf

vCash: 500
We don't need anymore D unless we trade for a legit top pairing defenseman or trade multiple D from our current team.

JSchultz, Petry, Smid, NSchultz, and Ference are all NHL caliber D.

Belov signed to play in the NHL. If he was a top 5 D in the KHL last year, there's no reason that he could not be a bottom pairing D either. I actually think he could easily be a 2nd pairing D once he gets settled in.

That's 6 guys

We have Potter and Larsen likely fighting over the 7th D spot. I think Larsen wins out.

someone gets hurt, I don't think anyone would be upset if Klefbom played 10-20 games,

or if potter/larsen clears waivers they are capable of being the #7 defenseman on the team as well filling in the press box role

I don't think anyone would be upset if Fedun or Marcinin played a few games if we were devastated by injuries either

-no reason to bring in a guy like gilbert to fight larsen/potter for the #7 spot or belov for the #6 spot. If we want depth guys, resign Frstic for that role.
But if we get hit by the injury bug, I for one wouldn't mind giving whatever young guy is playing well in the AHL a few games to get their feet wet in the NHL

and finally, worst case scenario, we're competing and get hit by the injury bug and our young guys have looked less then stellar in the AHL, we can pick up a D that's better then Gilbert usually fairly cheap in a trade (often can get a decent guy at some point even on the waiver wire). If we are going to sign more free agents, look for a 3rd/4th line wing since right now we don't have those slots filled.

skorf is offline   Reply With Quote