View Single Post
Old
07-10-2013, 08:17 PM
Habiton

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
What I would Offer compared to what Bergevin would offer is probably not even close. Bergevin will not give up any core pieces or high picks for anything. Hes all about the draft. Its another 5 year plan in Montreal. Sometime, a GM has to take a chance and Bergy Does not strike me as that guy. Im not bashing him its just my opinion
I think you are misunderstanding the 5 year plan. Gainey preached it yet after a few years blew up the core and traded young, highly touted talent, for a diminishing return. In fact until the end so did Gauther (Gomez, Lang, Moore, Wiz, etc). We lost our biggest strength (prospects) and the franchise was put in a state of mediocrity.

Trading more young talent for a young core is falling in the same trap, we simply don't have the team or prospect pool yet to risk it. Bergevin is being incredibly smart despite the senseless fan outrage (at least on these boards) because he told us upfront what he is going to do. He won't lose talent for nothing and he will build a perennial cup contender through the draft and proper development. I don't view it as a shock that many of our prospects took a huge leap this year and will continue to next year and the year after.

I think everyone needs to temper their inner want for a major trade (I have it to) and realize that Bergevin is trying to create a team that makes the playoffs and competes versus selling assets for a few years of semi-better play only to set the franchise back even further. Right now his job is to retain talent, build up the franchises prestige and attractiveness to players via savvy player management and most important ensure that we not only develop first class but draft first class.

This organization is changing into what it once was, the standard for being premier in the NHL. Give him time, after all the franchise was a complete mess when he took over. It's seems like everyone has forgot the if we can make the playoffs next year I will be happy of last off season. Would you rather be 3rd last in the league? I wouldn't.